Saturday, June 25, 2016

Some Things To Be Omitted In Ready Player One Movie

When it was announced that the book Ready Player One was going to be made into a movie, fans of the novel were ecstatic.  They were even more so when it was learned that Steven Spielberg was signed on to direct the film.  What better director to helm the film than the person who's work had been featured so prominently in the novel?  Unfortunately, it seems that he his planning to leave out a lot of the references to his own work when he starts to film.

When Spielberg talked to Collider about his decision to sign on for the film, he had this to tell them:

"I think we were pretty awesome in the 80s.  I hope the movie returns all of us to the awesomeness of the 80s. I love the 80s. I think one of the reasons I decided to make the movie was that it brought me back to the 80s and lets me do anything I want, except for with my own movies.  I’ve cut most of my movies out of [the] book. Except for the DeLorean and a couple of other things that I had something to do with, I cut a lot of my own references out of the 80s. I was very happy to see there was enough without me that made the 80s a great time to grow up."


He went on to explain that the reason he decided to do this was because he didn't want the movie to feel like a homage to himself and his work.  I can't say that I blame him, it would be easy for bloggers and people who comment on articles and posts to tear him down by saying that he made this movie just to glamorize his own work.  I think that this is a smart move.  He did say that there would be some things from movies that he had a hand in making that will be left in.  He used the DeLorean as an example.  While he wasn't the director on the Back To The Future films (Robert Zemeckis directed those films), he was one of the executive producers for the films.  I'm just glad that he didn't have anything to do with Wargames from1983 (directed by John Badham) or 1975's Monty Python and the Holy Grail (directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones).


So are you familiar with the book, and if so, are you looking forward to seeing the movie?  Let me know your thoughts on this in the comments section down below.





No comments:

Post a Comment