Friday, January 16, 2015

This Is Why I Dread Remakes Of My Favorite Movies...

Poltergeist 040Pyxurz

Growing up when I did, I was able to enjoy a lot of different movies at a time when special effects were really just coming into their own.  One of the great benefits of these special effects were horror films.  I remember getting terrified watching the classics like A Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Halloween, and of course...Poltergeist.

I read late last year that Poltergeist was getting an updated version, and I thought, "Wow!"  With all of the great horror films that have been produced lately (i.e. The Conjuring, Insidious, Ouija) imagine how good this could be!  Then I read this title of an article on Comicbook.com:

"Poltergeist Remake To Be A Kids' Movie"

I have to admit, my heart sank.  The level of disappointment that I was feeling can't be described.  I was crushed, but I read on:

"...Collider reports, star Sam Rockwell called it a 'kids' movie.'" 

"The ten year old boy is really the protagonist this time," Rockwell said.  "JoBeth Williams was the protagonist for the most part in the first one and now the kid, it's really through his point-of-view.  So it's more of a kids' movie so I don't know if it's gonna be rated-R scary."

"It's not like Conjuring type scary," he clarified.  "You know, it's a different kind of movie.  It's more of an adventure.  It's essentially a child abduction film when you come down to it.  I mean, the original Poltergeist is too."

I think Rockwell pretty much killed this movie with the comments he gave in this interview.  Save your twelve bucks, and if you really want to see this thing, just wait a few months.  It'll probably show up on TNT before you know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment