Thursday, January 8, 2015

Ghost In The Shell Movie Signs Scarlett Johannson

'Ghost in the Shell' casts Scarlett Johansson as their lead, what were they thinking?

Scarlett Johansson is signed on to play the lead role in the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie, and man...there is going to be some backlash.

It won't be because she's Scarlett Johansson, but rather because she's American.  I can hear the rumblings happening across the web even as you read this and have read quite a few complaints already.  Let me say this, first: I am a huge fan of Johansson's work, and I think that she is an incredible actress...but is she the right person for this role?

If you are not familiar with Ghost in the Shell, here's a quick recap of what it's about, courtesy of Jamie Lovett from Comicbook.com:

"Ghost in the Shell follows Section 9, a branch of the Japanese National Public Safety Comission that combat cybercrime and cyberterrorism.  The team's field leader is Commander Motoko Kusanagi.  While almost all of the members of Section 9 have cybernetic implants, Kusanagi has replaced her entire original body with one that is fully artificial."

Now I'm guessing you can understand the title, eh?

So now, the questions begin.  The story is set in New Port City, Japan and follows the Japanese National Public Safety Comissions Section 9, right?  So why cast an American it's lead? Is Dreamworks going to change the whole story up so that it takes place in the United States, or are they going to leave it in Japan?  Another good question that was raised by Yahoo contributor Donna Dickens was whether this was another case of World War Z, where the movie title from the original source is the only similarities between it and the movie?

Like I said previously, I love Scarlett Johansson's movies, but I also love Ghost in the Shell.  I'd prefer that they would cast appropriately for the roles as to not insult the original material.  Do you think I'm over reacting?  What are your feelings on this subject? Let me know, and leave a comment in the section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment