Thursday, February 18, 2016

Todd McFarlane Finishes Script For Spawn Movie

Spawn 250 Jock Variant

The last time Spawn hit the silver screen was back in 1997, nearly twenty years ago, and it's taken fans nearly that long to get the bad taste out of their mouths after watching it.  It was horrible, and something that we'd all soon forget ever happened.  Thank Gawd that we won't have to live through that again!  Wait...what?  Todd McFarlane is writing another script for another Spawn movie?  Here we go again.

Okay, I'm being very unfair to Mr. McFarlane.  I honestly do not blame him for that lousy film.  Yes, he was credited as being one of the writers, but he wasn't the director, something that he's hoping to do this time around.  Not only that, but the same year that the movie came out HBO aired an animated Spawn series that completely knocked it out of the park!  It was exactly what Spawn fans were wanting, and what we were hoping to get with the movie.  If you haven't seen the animated series yet, it's available on DVD and Bluray.

So after twenty years since the first movie came out, Mr. McFarlane is hoping to get it right this time around.  Here's what he had to say about the upcoming film:

"I've finished the script, and I'm in the process of editing.  It's 183 pages, and [producers] usually like 120. I still think it's going to end up being about 140, because I'm putting in details for myself.  I want to keep it small, keep it tight, so they'll let me direct it!  I need to get him back up on the big screen again to make him relevant in a big way, which we will do."

Then he continued:

"I’d put it more into the horror/suspense/supernatural genre. If you take the movie The Departed meets Paranormal Activity, something like that…In the background, there’s this thing moving around, this boogeyman. That boogeyman just happens to be something that you and I, intellectually, know is Spawn. Will he look like he did in the first movie? No. Will he have a supervillain he fights? No. He’s going to be the specter, the ghost. "

Being able to direct something that you write seems important to McFarlane because only then will he be able to get out of it what he sees it looking like in his head.  Handing the director's chair over to someone else will lose that vision.  So Todd, I'm crossing my fingers for you.  Hope you get the chance to direct your script. 

There's no release date for the film yet, but they are hoping to start production for the film later this year, putting it as a release sometime in 2017.  I'll keep you posted as more information come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment