Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Not Good News For Batman v Superman

Batman V Superman Box Office Batman V Supermans Opening Weekend Sees Drastic Fri Sun Dropoff

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice broke more than a few records this past weekend, but the one that has Warner Bros. most nervous was the Friday to Sunday drop in movie-goers.
After pulling in $420 million globally over the weekend (very impressive!), the combination of critic's reviews and bad word of mouth seemed to halt it's incredible debut.  People seem to agree that the movie's dark tone didn't work for the film.  Even super-fanboy geek Kevin Smith said that the movie lacked heart.  Ouch.  So after raking in $82 million on Friday, Sunday's take dropped to $37 million, which roughly is a 55% drop in sales.  That's the largest Friday to Sunday drop in movie history, it's even larger than the drop that last year's Fantastic Four had which was 48%.  Again, ouch.

This surprises me quite a bit.  Why?  Even with all of the negative reviews, everybody...and I mean everybody that I've talked to that's seen the movie said that Ben Affleck was an amazing Batman, Gal Gadot stole the show and out shown the two title characters, and Jesse Eisenberg nailed it as Lex Luthor.  They also said that the fight scenes and car chases were some of the best that have been done, so the only thing that I can think of is that the script for the movie sucked.  I'll find out for myself later this weekend.  Even with all of the poor reviews, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Something else that I read about the film has left me scratching my head...the movie cost $250 million to make, it pulled in $420 million it's opening weekend, and the article I read said that in order for the movie to break even, it will have to pull in $800 million.  In order to make a profit, it'll have to make $1 billion.  Wha...?  Look, I love movies, but I'm not going to lie and say that I understand the financial side of the movie business.  I understand that on top of the costs for making the movie, they also have to promote the film, domestically and internationally, and a percentage of the box office take goes to the theaters, but $800 million to break even?  That doesn't make sense to me.

One of the things that Batman v Superman has going for it is that there really won't be any competition at the box office for it until May when Captain America: Civil War gets released, so that may help it reach its goal of breaking even, or even a profit.

Have you seen the movie yet?  If you have, let me know what you thought of the movie in the comments section down below.  I trust the fans more than the critics, so let me know your actual thoughts on the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment