Friday, October 4, 2019

"The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes"

To be honest, I'm not sure how interested people will be in hearing that Suzanne Collins is writing a prequel to her best selling series The Hunger Games.  The reason I say this is because the final two movies that came out, The Mockingjay Part 1 & 2,  pretty much bombed at the box office with fans.  To be honest, I read the books before finding out that they were going to be movies, and I loved the first book, thought the second book Catching Fire was a decent follow-up, but fell asleep reading the third book.  It made the same mistake as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace  and focused too much on the politics of the world, and people tuned out.  Let's hope that this new prequel doesn't fall into the same trap.

The book is going to be titled The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.  The story will take place 64 years before the first Hunger Games story.  Collins said about the book, "With this book, I wanted to explore the state of nature, who we are, and what we perceive is required for our survival.  The reconstruction period 10 years after the war, commonly referred to as the Dark Days - as the country of Panem struggles back to its feet - provides fertile ground for the characters to grapple with these questions and thereby define their views of humanity."

Apparently excitement is growing over the announcement of this new chapter to the series, but until it releases May 19, 2020, and I see the sales numbers, I will tend to be skeptical.  It will be available in print, digital, and as an audiobook.  Is this something that you are interested in?  If it is, let me know why.  I'm curious how others are reacting the news of this Hunger Games prequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment