Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Blade Runner Sequel To Begin Filming In July

GoslingRunner

The announcement of a Blade Runner sequel has had me scratching my head.  Not because of the argument of, "Why ruin a classic movie with a sequel?", although that is one of my worries, rather why make a sequel to a movie that was based on a book that had no sequel?  Okay, there were other books that were written, but not by the original author.  The book and author that I'm referring to is Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.  The author of the Blade Runner books that followed were written by K.W. Jeter, a friend of Philip K. Dicks, and yes they were authorized and considered "official" sequels, but I'm sorry.  Not from the original mind of the creator, not a true continuation.  Not in this case, anyway.  I know that there are people out there that will argue with me on this matter, and they may be right, this is just my opinion on this particular book/movie.  But I digress...

Harrison Ford is going to return as Rick Deckard , a role he last played in 1982, and will be joined by Ryan Gosling in the sequel to Blade Runner.  The screenplay is being written by Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original movie) and Ridley Scott.  It doesn't sound like the script is using any of the material written by K.W. Jeter, but instead is going to be an original story based on the world created by Philip K. Dick.  The movie will be distributed by Sony and starts filming this July.  Sony Pictures Chairman Tom Rothman said in a statement:

"At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace.  We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the all-star creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled.  We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift.  Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a long-time personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original."

I question that last line of his, "...as I deeply love and admire the original."  Then why possibly ruin it with a sequel?  Oh well, it's not the art of movie making anymore, but how much money can it make.

No release date for the film has been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment