Monday, December 1, 2014

The Superman Movie That Never Was...

There has been a lot of interest in the never-made movie Superman Lives that was to be directed by Tim Burton back in the 1990's, and the fact that there's been interest in this now defunk film amazes me.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Tim Burton films, with the one exception being his original Batman starring Michael Keaton.  When I first heard that Keaton was tapped to play the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman, I was a little upset because I didn't think that he'd be able to pull it off.  I was happy to be proven wrong, and the dark tone of the movie made it one of my all time favorites.  In keeping with hiring what sounds like the wrong actors for certain roles, Tim Burton's Superman Lives movie has been releasing names of the actors they wanted for character roles in the film that just make me scratch my head and go, "Huh?"

Burton had hired Nicholas Cage to play Clark Kent/Superman (Huh?) who was to be appearing as the '90's version of Clark after the "Death of Superman" storyline that rocked that horrible mullet.  The only thing that I think Cage could have pulled off in this role was the mullet.  I've seen too many of Nicholas Cages movies to just be thinking, "What the hell were they thinking?"  I know I was wrong about Keaton in the role of Bruce Wayne, but he's a talent actor.  Cage is...well, Cage.

The most recent reveal about this film comes from CinemaBlend.com, and it tells us that the villian in this film was going to be Brainiac, a robotic nightmare that traveled the universe collecting cities from planets, shrinking them down in size and bottling them up before destroying the rest of the planet, making him the single greatest mass murderer in the entire universe.  So who were they going to get to play this diabolical android?

Enter Jim Carrey!  Carrey had experience working in the Burton universe, having played the Riddler in the Joel Schumacher directed film Batman Forever, and was the front runner to play Brainiac in the movie, with Gary Oldman as their second choice.  It isn't hard to picture Jim Carrey as the green-skinned Brainiac, since we've seen him in the movie The Mask, but I've also seen him in The Mask and can't help asking that question, "Huh?"

This seems to be the worst-cast movie ever to never be made, and I'm thankful that it was shelved.  Even though I would never have gone to see it, just being made would have set the franchise back even farther than it was with the release of Superman Returns.  The interest in this movie-that-never-was isn't really that hard to understand, even though as I said it still amazes me.  People always enjoy the "what if's" of Hollywood, but in this case, I am thankful that this what if never was.

No comments:

Post a Comment