Friday, September 23, 2016

Freddy Krueger Responsible Luke Skywalker?

One thing that all true fans of the original Star Wars movies love to hear about are all of the behind the scene stories that took place before and after the movie A New Hope came out.  How did they decide who to cast in each role?  How did they all get along?  Things like this have fueled all of the documentaries about the film and the actors, but there is one story that I had heard about until recently.  I didn't know this, but back in the 70's, before the two were cultural Icons, Mark Hamill and Robert Englund were pretty good friends.  While Englund was out auditioning for a role in a small movie called Apocalypse Now, he learned about a new George Lucas film that was also taking auditions.  Check out his story:

"Well, here's what happened. I auditioned for the surfer in Apocalypse Now, and I was too old. I really thought I was going to nail it. I was 170 pounds of solid muscle, I had long, blond hair down my back, and when I went into the audition I was wearing thrift clothes - a pair of tight green Levi jeans, a pair of work boots, and a military green shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and I had dog tags on, too. So I looked a little military, but I looked like a surfer, too. I didn't get the part, and as I started to leave, they said, 'Wait, Robert, they're doing something across the hall with George Lucas'. And I perked right up when I heard 'George Lucas', because I love American Graffiti. It's a perfect movie. The perfect film about my generation. I love it. So my eyes lit up and I went across the hall. They wanted an older Han Solo at that point. They wanted him to be like that cool uncle who just comes around once a year, you know? Luke Skywalker's cool uncle who smokes a joint with him or something. At least that's what they were talking about in the office with me. They just took Polaroids of me and that was it. I could tell I was too young. I don't think Harrison was on their radar at that point; they were all friends but I don't think he was on their radar for that part yet. So anyway, I picked up the sides [the parts of a script used for actors to audition with], went across the street, had a drink at the old Formosa and sat next to Elvis Presley's sound mixer and shot the s**t for an hour. I drove home in my battered old sports car, up into the Hills."

So Englund goes out and auditions for the two parts in the two movies.  The surfer guy in Apocalypse Now and Han Solo in Star Wars: A New Hope.  It's what happened next that gave Hamill his big break in films.

"At that time, Mark Hamill was always on my couch. He was a TV star. He was filming a TV series across the street; I think it was called The Texas Wheelers, with Gary Busey. So he was always at my place, and I knew he was home because his cowboy boots were out front. He always left his boots outside. So there he was, halfway through a six-pack, watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I went in and I said to him, 'Look at these sides, I think you're right for this, man. This character is like a space prince, and it's George Lucas!' Mark loved science fiction and horror. I'd been a fanboy, too, but Mark was in arrested development as a fanboy. He'd been an army brat, and he just idolised everything in American popular culture. But he was hip, too! He was into The Kinks, he was into Lenny Bruce, he was into Monty Python before anybody. He turned me on to some of that. So I said to him, 'Mark, you've got to do this, it's George Lucas!' I wasn't even really pushing the space bit, I was just saying, 'Wow, what if you got to be in a George Lucas movie, Mark? You're the kind of actor he loves!' So he got on the phone to his agent and the rest is history. That's the true story. But the internet wants to make it like, you know, I turned down the part of Luke Skywalker for Mark Hamill. I would never have turned it down! F***ing Mark never even paid rent!"

Don't get him wrong, Englund and Hamill are still good friends, he's just busting his chops.  He said that Mark would always grab the check at a restaurant or leave a six pack of beer in the fridge whenever he stopped by.  To me?  That's a pretty good friend to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment